|How to cook the perfect sirloin steak|
Jason Atherton, former executive chef of Gordon Ramsay's Maze Grill, shares his secrets on how to cook the perfect sirloin steak to make it into a magnificent meal.
Five steps to cooking the perfect steak at home
1. Heat your griddle or frying pan over a high heat, until smoking hot.
2. Lightly brush the steak with a little olive oil and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
3. Donâ€™t griddle more than two steaks at a time, and keep them spaced well apart. If you add more than two steaks to the pan at once, the temperature will drop and the steak will stew, rather than fry.
4. Donâ€™t turn the steaks until good seared markings are achieved, then turn them over and cook on the other side (see timings, below).
5. You must let the steak rest for about 3 minutes before serving, to allow the juices that have been drawn to the surface to relax back into the meat.
How long to cook a steak for
These timings are based on cooking a sirloin steak thatâ€™s about 2cm thick. (Cooking times will vary depending on the type and thickness of the steak, and how hot your pan is.)
Blue: 1 minute each side
Rare: 1Â˝ minutes each side
Medium rare: 2 minutes each side
Medium: 2ÂĽ minutes each side
Medium-well done: 2Â˝ - 3 minutes each side.